At 1:14 AM 3/2/5, Keith Nagel wrote:
>Hey Horace,
>
>You write:
>>NOTE THAT THE DECIMAL POINT IN THE 19.6 CAL IS HARD TO READ IN THE SCAN.
>
>Oh come on, it's very clear and if the type face is confusing look
>a few lines above for the same notation ( specific gravity 5.3 ).

Well, that depends on the quality of your monitor.

>I'm more inclined to think that the author wrote 19.6 calories and the
>typesetter transcribed incorrectly as 19.6 Cals. x1000 less
>energy would make this not as exciting.

Not sure what you mean here.  There was no "x 1000" notation used that I
saw. It is strange that Cals. is capitalized though.  You don't suppose
this capitalization is intended to mean dietary calories, i.e.
kilocalories?  This seems inappropriate for a thermodynamic study.

>Otherwise, I see your point about the 100eV/atom. 1/10th an eV
>sounds more reasonable for phase change, and could be absorbed during
>the plating up process.

I notice a number of references question the existence of actual Sb
allotropes.  The electrochmically deposited stuff may be just a mixture of
Sb, SbCl3, SbO, and H or H2, etc., assuming not all the SBO+ is reduced,
and some of the SbCl3 or some related and similar ion stays in solution.
The H and SbO (or some similar compounds) would have to be physically
separated in the amorphous black mixture, but a "rubbing" would bring them
in contact and start the explosion.

Regards,

Horace Heffner