Nick,

SiC coated is certainly interesting but I was thinking
of solid carbide tools that are available and reasonably
priced. Solid carbide tools are very rigid compared to
coated steel tools but are easily broken. The rigidity
creates larger forces on the tool during machining so
that a fine dense structure of the carbide is required
to avoid fracture. I've certainly broken my share of
small solid carbide tools on my small NC mill.

I'm surprised that the thermocouple is reading such
high temperatures. A passive mechanical meter
on the thermocouple output would
perhaps be less precise but might integrate the noise
and be more readable at high power.
Thanks for the temperature data.

George