(PST):
Hi,
[snip]
>Note that this actually IS the "nightmare" scenario whereby a hydrogen economy
>removes oxygen from the atmosphere.
>
>The water is split by the formation of SiO2 underground, leaving the oxygen
>innacessible and providing hydrogen for our use.  Burn the hydrogen and you
>get more water, but with a net loss of usable oxygen.
>
>Probably not a good idea for long-term energy production.
[snip]
It would take 44590 years to use up all the oxygen in the
atmosphere, at out current rate of energy use.

So, it should at least give us a few hundred years to come up with
something better. Who knows, perhaps by then they will have
succeeded with hot fusion. :)

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

All SPAM goes in the trash unread.