Stephen wrote:

> Terry Blanton wrote:
>
> > This article says that the Canadian Sands won't save us because you
> > can't squeeze it out fast enough:
> >
> > http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/
>

> Fascinating.
>
> Does anyone here know what the effect of peak oil is likely to be on
> global warming?   Lack of oil will ruin the economy and lead to WWIII --
> but will it also save the polar bears?   Or have CO2 levels already gone
> so high that a methane burp followed by a total meltdown is inevitable?

Take note of the cover story of the last Scientific American. The author
uses deep ice core data to measure the cyclic methane and carbon dioxide
content of the atmosphere over may millenia. It is cyclic, the cycles
synchronous with variations in the solar illumination due to interactions of
the eccentriciey of the the Eartth's orbit and its precession of the
rotation axis -- both "cosmic" effect, beyond control of man. Following
those cycles, Earth should have entered a cooling phase some 5-8000 years
ago, headed for an ice age. That trend has been counterbalanced by the rise
of agriculure, producing mathane from rotting crops and increasing carbon
dioxide through deforestation.

Thus we have ha a nice climate, due the presence of Man. We overdid it with
the industrial age and massive use of fossil fuel, and may now face
consequences. However, if the "peak oil" scenario is as bas as advertised,
then the use of fossil fuels will decline, and we may continue down the
cosmic cooling cycle toward another ice age.

Thus even though there may be a near term victory for LENR and BLP to arrest
the peak in global warming, the ride can still be bumpy.

And to think there is a comepetition as to who can build the scariest roller
coaster rides :-).

Mike Carrell