Terry Blanton writes:

>> Pack-hunting predator instinct.

> I would find it
> extemely humorous did I not fear that I am the quarry.

Lol!

Seriously (okay, somewhat seriously) they do not want to hunt you, they want
you to join their pack and follow their leadership and their initiative. In
other words, they want to make you a subordinate member of their hierarchy. As
far as I know, only predators who cooperatively hunt in packs exhibit this
behavior. Solitary hunters do not care what other members of their species do.
When they encounter other individuals, they simply drive them off. Pack hunters
such as wolves and people have highly developed, complex patterns of
interaction with emphasis on controlling member behavior. I believe that
instinct accounts for the urge to proselytize religion and make others conform
to your own culture. Herd animals such as deer have social hierarchy, but it is
less developed, and there is little leadership or coordination. When a herd is
attacked, all members flee. They seldom organize to defend the herd or shelter
young animals. (Elephants do defend the herd, and elephants also!
  have more complex social hierarchy than other herbivores.)