Vortex-ians
    I was a regular member of this group three years ago, when I lived in LA and I commuted regularly with an electric car. I was in grad school at CSUN at the time, and lived eight miles from the school. In the morning I would unplug the car from my driveway, drive to school, park at the school parking lot which had a free plug, charge all day, at about 10 amps average, drive home at night, and plug in again overnight at home, The car used 12-6 volt batteries, Pb-acid type such as in golf carts. The batteries would last about three years with this loading. I had a very steep one mile long hill just before I arrived at home, and the car would pull 600 amps during the climb. It was quite practical, and I commuted for six years this way
.
     These new batteries would be great, if I could afford them. I still have the car, stored on my daughters farm near the Canadian Border. She uses it in the summertime to commute to the school she works at. The car has no top, (a roadster), so its not ideal in the NE, but was fine in LA

    A picture of the car is at http://www.getmsm.com/ev/tropica/default.htm

Hank Scudder