Horace, thank you for your detailed analysis.
The reason I was asking was because I thought that if the forces are as Grassmann insists are perpendicular then removing the battery and instead using high frequency alternating current in what is now an open circuit should give rise to thrust.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- + ~ -
------------------------------------------------------------------------- - ~ +

The force on the I's would be perpendicular with no force on any other segment.
However with further thought, the only way the above would fail to generate thrust is if the forces are as Ampere claims (longitudinal) without any displacement current in the vacuum between the two rails.

Even if Ampere is correct as long as there is displacement current the magnetic force from the vacuum displacement current would push on the rail in a longitudinal manner.

So Newtons law would survive as the equal and opposite force would be placed on the vacuum (aether).

If Grassmann is correct it doesn't matter if displacement current exists or not.

/
/
/
/
\
\
\
\

By having the conductors diverge a bit more thrust might be created, but clearly the angle shown here is too steep.
Clearly I keep the 'rails' close and parallel to increase capacitance, I thought of increasing capacitance by adding capacitor plates to the rails (the two plates would of course remain the same distance apart as the rails) but realized as the currents branch out in the plates counter forces would be created, however if the whole thing were made of the same thickness that objection would be removed.
So wide ribbon would be the best material to use.