At 8:42 AM 4/9/5, Robin van Spaandonk wrote:

>At several times the energy density of lead-acid batteries, and a
>fraction of one percent of the cost, a possibly very cheap form of
>temporary energy storage, especially on a large scale, is molten
>salt. At the temperature difference between molten NaCl (800 ºC),
>and room temperature,  the Carnot efficiency is quite high (72%),
>and Sterling engines could be used to retrieve the energy stored.
>
>The only potential problem is the chemical aggressiveness of the
>molten salt, but I'm sure that could be overcome.

Storage of *both* the heat and cold generated by air liquifaction might be
a sensible way to go.  Liquid air is easy to store at high efficiency, and
heat from compression can be stored in thermal wells or by using salt phase
exchange, though a much lower melting point salt would have to be used to
directly obtain the heat from the compression. I would expect thermal wells
to be cheaper than salt tanks, and if drilled deep enough, they produce
geothermal heat also.

Regards,

Horace Heffner