-0400:
Hi,
[snip]
>I don't get it. I cannot imagine any material used for the tether would be
>strong enough to turn a 100 MW generator. Even 1 MW seems out of the question.
[snip]
Because any cable needs to be able to at least support it's own
weight, a maximum length can be calculated by dividing the tensile
strength of the material by the density.
For good steel I get 600000 lb/sq. in. divided by the density of
iron (7.87 gm/mL) = 176000 ft. At that length, any extra tension
(i.e. an addition "real" load), will break it.

Note however that if the cable is going to run at a shallow angle,
then this doesn't imply a height of 176000 ft.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

All SPAM goes in the trash unread.