At 8:40 AM 4/16/5, Frederick Sparber wrote:

>I found several web sites on Print to Voice Software (pricey) for the
>visually impaired.
>Surely there must be simple Print to Voice programs that would be helpful.

There is a way to this, and the price is right.  It's free.  It involves
a number of steps, but this boy might enjoy doing it.  Microsoft Reader
has a computer text to voice feature.  Of course, this requires an editable
text file.  So if you have a printed source, it would involve using the
OCR feature of a scanner.  These are a lot better than they used to be.

After the printed source is OCR'd into Word, you use the Microsoft Reader
plugin to convert it to Reader file.  You then open the file in Reader and
use the speech feature.  It highlights the word being read and will go at
any speed including one word at a time.  The voice is none too pleasing,
but it does work.

The Microsoft Reader program and plugin for Word are free downloads.  There
must be other text to speech freeware programs out there as well.  Don't
know if this will be much help.

M.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com