On 4/25/05, Stephen A. Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Keith Nagel wrote:
>
> >Mike writes:
> >

> >>We moderns suffer from temporal chauvisism, the delusion that we are the
> >>smartest of all humanity [which is refuted by any teenager]. It happens that
> >>there are more tech geeks like us than anytime in history, so the odds of
> >>something useful being found are better, but it does not follow that our
> >>individual geekiness woud stand a chance if dropped into, say, King Arthur's
> >>Court like the Conneticut Yankee handyman of Mark Twain's novel. Most of
> >>Edison's inventions could have been built anytime in the Iron Age by someone
> >>"who knew what to do".
> >>

> >Right on the money, Mike! They were us.
> >
> >I was thinking about just what the difference was between then and now,
> >and I came to the same general conclusion as you, sheer numbers. You
> >need say 1000 people to produce one innovator, the two support each other.
> >You can't innovate when the tiger has you treed, there needs to be
> >some kind of infrastructure that the other 1000 provide. I wonder if the
> >trend
> >of greater numbers/more innovation has a saturation point?
> >It seems we may be hitting it now, but perhaps this is just a lacunae.
> >

> We are indeed.  The issue isn't just maximizing the number of
> innovators, but also maximizing the information available to each
> innovator so they can innovate most effectively.
>
> And that latter item is most certainly hitting a saturation point:
> Beyond a certain level of information flow, the "potential innovators"
> stop innovating and switch to a mode where they spend all their time
> reading Email.

BWAHAHAAAHAAAHAAAAA.

well put. i think we're there!  also though, its important becuase,
for a long time, people spent a LOT of time reinventing the wheel.  a
quick google search gives a lot of info, telling you that people ahve
already tried your new idea, and no, it didnt work either!

--
"Monsieur l'abbé, I detest what you write, but I would give my life to
make it possible for you to continue to write"  Voltaire