From reading Carroll it is apparent he had a humor to temper his intellect.
As time goes by I am coming to realize that CF will emerge just as I am considering the major movement will occur as the result of new mathematics rather than physics alone. Carroll relied upon his math wisdom and skills to lead him in much of his work.

Way back in the 1950's I enjoyed a fellowship with some remarkable minds.. alas there are all since passed. Carroll reminde me of some of them Since that time the closest I have come to such an association has been VortexL.. Clapping hands.!!!

I suggest that Carroll recognized the complexity of the math required to " crack the code" of CF.
Again, we discussed this way back in the 1950's and concluded a " machine" would be needed to handle the complexity.
Now I realize the "machine" would be a computer. The existing software is insufficent to deal with the task which is why I suggested a form of quadratic computing. I have read about the arguments for " quantum computing" and the ridicule surounding it. Should the word "quadratic" be used in lieu of " quantum" we may have already be in motion toward the software.
Looking at kid's computer games like " game boy " etc I notice the software people have already worked across some of the major steps toward " quadratics". I envisioned the software in four sections. The first is the base with two varaible and a differential bias to load weight of balance between the two variables.

NOW!! hold onto your hat because this gets near the edge.. the two variables are 3D which means their analog values must be converted to digital " on the fly" which is how game boy performs. The idea of using 3 D collectors similar to a parabolic mirror as each of the two variables provide the infinite measure which in turn can be calibtrated ( biased) like a proportional and reset controller. The complexity comes from how to differentiate. My experience with derivative features in a controller lead me to consider the problem has again, already been solved by industry evidenced by the numerous industrial controllers with programmable features.

Carroll is one of those people you would like to have spent relaxed time with.

Richard

----- Original Message ----- From: "Grimer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <vortex-L@eskimo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 2:30 PM
Subject: RE: Robert Carroll

I have started reading Carroll's stuff. He is certainly a man after
my own heart if the following gem is anything to go by.

  If the reader detects a note of sarcasm in the above statement,
  it is only because it was meant to be so. Our present level of
  scientific knowledge is about that of the kindergarten dropout.
  Consider the fact that the aberration of light from celestial
  objects is well known. There is no corresponding evidence that
  such an aberration exists in the law of central forces by which
  a satellite system such as the sun and its planets is established.

And a bit lower down the opening page, this -

  The oddest of all the oddities concerning the human animal
  is his apparent lack of predisposition toward the truth.
  The statement: "in any argument, the loudest voice prevails,
  " has nothing to indicate that truth is involved. It is
  useless to speculate what might have been. Leibniz was a
  rival of Newton, both in mathematics and in physics. He
  ridiculed Newton's concept of space with the statement:
  "There is no space where there is no matter."

Amen to that, I say - but then seeing as I realise that matter is
held together from without and not from within, I would say that
wouldn't I.  <grin>

If nothing else, it looks as though Carroll's stuff will be a
wonderful source of quotations.

Cheers

Frank Grimer