Jones Beene wrote:

There is an interesting disclaimer on the credit page: "The opinions expressed in this book are not those of the author" ... meaning cryptically, one might suppose, that no opinion is really our "own."

He meant that he does not necessarily believe in ESP or the near-term end of the world, and he does not wish to be bothered by the legions of people who do.

In a related topic, and one of his essays he wrote that while anyone acknowledges there are such things as UFOs in the literal sense (that is, flying objects that cannot be identified by the authorities), he remains unconvinced that UFOs are manned vehicles from outer space, and he is sick of the subject.

I expect he still feels the same way about both subjects.

In another essay, he frankly admitted that he borrowed the idea of extraterrestrial creatures that look like devils.