> From: Michael Foster

> Speaking of solar towers, does anyone know why Solar One,
> which became Solar Two, was decommissioned?  It was in Daggett,
> CA, and was visible from I-15 on your way from Los Angeles to
> Las Vegas.  Steam-on-a-stick, as it was called, seemed to be
> producing plenty of electricity, so why was it shut down?
> Political? Economic? What?

I wonder too.

> I used to marvel at the fact that the top of the tower, which
> was dead black, looked bright white from being at the focal
> point of all those mirrors.
>
> BTW, Jed, I recall reading some years ago about how many
> plants and animals were thriving under the mirror array
> on account of the previously unavailable shade.  No doubt
> this would have resulted in a different local ecosystem,
> but an ecosystem nontheless.
>
> M.

You bring up an interesting point. Decommissioned ships have been
deliberately sunk in order to increase favorable habitat for aquatic forms -
places for the little fishies to hide in to get away from the bigger
fishies. Never the less, little fishies attract bigger fishies and before
you know it, you've got a thriving eco system that didn't exist before.

Sometimes, sinking a ship turns out to be in everyone's best interest.

Perhaps strategically placed solar towers might might create similar
valuable eco systems as well.

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com