Ed,

When extra H+ or OH- are added to make the fluid conductive, the H2O is no longer pure and at unit activity. In essence, energy has been added that has partially split the water into H and O. As a result, less energy is required as voltage to complete the process. If the energy added to the solution in making and adding the H+ or OH- is taken into account, the correct enthalpy of H2O will be obtained. In other words, an apparent OU is only caused by not taking all energy sources into account.

Yes...but... it's a little bit like "the gift that keeps on giving" isn't it?

...in that when done properly, you only add the electrolytes once, and following that, the lowered unit effects continue-on for an extended time period.

Jones

BTW... (OT) ... as a curiosity, I was trying to remember the originator of the now-trite catch-phrase: "give the gift that keeps on giving"

... My earliest recollection from years-past is an association with Hallmark Cards - the masters of marketing, but they probably lifted it from literature. Does anyone know? And please, no references to so-called "social" diseases are necessary at this time ...