OOPS!

I need more coffee before EM discussions I guess.

Please ignore the topographical / 3d surface analogy.
Strength of a magnetic field is measured by the
density of the field lines, not by number of lines
between you and the source.

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/302l/lectures/lectures.html

> > and I find that my recognition on general grounds
> > that the field
> > lines around a conductor form a tight spiral and
> not
> > a series of
> > closed loops is anathema as far as "Gauss' law for
> > magnetic fields"
> > is concerned since,

> >     An immediate corollary of the above law
> > [i.e.Gauss' Law]
> >     is that the number of magnetic field lines
> which
> > enter
> >     a closed surface is always equal to the number
> > of field
> >     lines which leave the surface. In other words:
>

> >     Magnetic field lines form closed loops which
> > never begin
> >     or end. Thus, magnetic field lines behave in a
> > quite
> >     different manner to electric field lines,
> which
> > begin on
> >     positive charges, end on negative charges, and
> > never form
> >     closed loops.

> > I suppose being a heretic would be more fun if I
> had
> > ever been
> > baptised in the EM church - but then perhaps I
> would
> > have never
> > seen the looniness of loops.
> >
> > I now realise why the hierarchical identity
> between
> > a coil and
> > a capacitor has never been recognised in physical
> > terms.
> >
> > I shall have to try and reconstruct the diagram I
> > drew many years
> > ago but never actually incorporated into any
> > Internal Note.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Frank Grimer

> Yahoo! Mail
> Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the
> tour:

Merlyn
Magickal Engineer and Technical Metaphysicist