Sam Faile continues his explorations at the limits of
topology.  His collection of knotted and multi-order
coils grows.  Some of the more recent geometries have
shown what Sam believes to be an odd optical effect,
even in an unpowered passive condition.  The effect -
claimed by Sam and some random witnesses at his
apartment lab to be noticeable to the unaided eye -
seems to resemble a continuous blue shift or color
distortion.  Compared to other geometries wound with
identical wire and identical insulating tape, the
arrays in question... well, they just do look "blue".
Sam got one decent photo recently, that my son posted
on his website:

http://www.geocities.com/spfaile/Arrayp.html

The one coil to the edge of the pile in the photo has
a robins egg blue coloration.  Another one Sam feels
shows a more violet grey hue.  Sam claims that while
winding some of the ones that look blue (a task that
takes several days) the color effect (to the eye) came
and went with sets of windings or knot layers.  As
though he was dipping in and out of a boundary of
phenomenon.

Optical illusion? Interaction of topology with human
optical response?  An actual steady state blue shift?
Unknown.  I suggested to Sam that he try to get some
photos of the coils illuminated with LED or laser
light, to see if a bona fide wavelength or color shift
by reflection is taking place.  I think he is
following up on this.  I wonder if some of these are
vaguely emulating the multi-ordered winding of DNA...

NR

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html