The Peachtree Road Race was held on Monday near my house. The course is 10 km, or 6.2 miles. The winner took about 30 minutes. The record for this course is 27 minutes, and I think this is a 10 K world record, or close to it. In other words, the champion runner averaged 14 mph, which is incredible.

Wheelchair racers leave 30 minutes before the foot racers. The wheelchair record is 19 minutes, or 20 mph.

Here is food for thought. Take any middle-aged person in reasonably good shape, such as my wife. Put her on a bicycle, and she could easily beat the world's fastest runners on this course. (I could probably outrace the fastest wheelchair racer as well.) I am sure of this because we have often ridden in that area so I am familiar with the terrain, and I have accurate bicycle speedometers. They show things such as average speed while in motion.

A bicyclist in no great hurry will travel 4 or 6 mph up a steep hill, but coming down the other side she will easily reach 18 to 24 mph, so the average is usually around 12 to 14 mph. If she hustles a bit she can beat the world champion runner. On a long, level, paved surface such as the Silver Comet Trail (http://silvercomet.tripod.com/) it is not difficult to maintain 16 mph for an hour or more. Anyone can go 80 miles in a day (the only problem is saddle soreness the next day), whereas the Olympic marathon race is 26 miles.

Tour de France bicycle race racers generally average ~22 mph I think, over gruelling terrain. The record is 31 mph over a 120 mile stage of the race.

This demonstrates the incredible mechanical advantage that a bicycle offers. This is why millions of people in Japan, China and other countries depend on bicycles for urban transport. A person + bicycle is the most efficient transportation system on earth, far better than any other animal or mechanical system. Birds are the most efficient animals. A soaring bird or a fish carried along in a river current expends no energy, but this is equivalent to a bicycle traveling downhill the whole way.