Jones Beene wrote:

George,

Actually 166 A (peak)* 12 V(peak) * .05 (duty factor) gives about
100 watts input at an average current of about 8 A
and an average voltage of   .6 V.

OK, now I see what you are saying but how does an auto battery provide 166 amps, even if it is peak?

The short answer is "easily". Running a starter motor, (at least some) automobile batteries can provide several hundred amps. If you need high current for a short time, a car battery is a pretty good choice. But if you're running bus bars from the battery, be careful not to let your ring cross power and ground; you'll get a very hot finger if you do!

At 166 amps, the battery voltage won't be 12 volts, of course, since the internal resistance is certainly not zero. But apparently Naudin was measuring voltage continuously so the battery's internal drop isn't an issue.

Is this what you really think is really happening ?

I don't have an opinion on Naudin's work, but WRT a car battery as a power source, this doesn't sound unreasonable.