Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:

If it only occurs once then it isn't scientific -- yet. You have to reproduce it. If you cannot reproduce it, then eventually you must conclude that you did not see it.

Nonsense. If you cannot reproduce it you must conclude that it is very hard to reproduce. There's no need to conclude that you did not see it at all (unless, of course, you weren't quite sure you saw it to start with).

My statement was sloppy. I did not mean that literally. Mizuno did not conclude that events never occurred. He concluded they were caused by random electronic noise rather than actual neutrons, so they had no deep significance. He turned out to be wrong, but most of the time, most researchers who reach that conclusion are right.

When a phenomenon is elusive, with a low s/n ratio, and when it may well be electronic noise, a researcher has to draw the line eventually and stop trying to figure out what causes it. That is unfortunate, but life is short and we cannot exhaustively follow up on every single anomaly.

There have been a few instances in which irreproducible but high-sigma CF events occurred. The best examples are the 1985 explosion in Fleischmann and Pon's lab, and Mizuno's 1991 massive heat after death event. Even though these could not be reproduced, because of technical difficulties and safety concerns, the researchers themselves never had the slightest doubt the events were real, and anomalous. I have no doubt either, because they fit into the pattern of CF effects that *can* be reproduced.

It was most unfortunate that the 1985 and 1991 events were not recorded properly with good instruments, and the physical evidence from them was not preserved. F&P and Mizuno were inexcusably unprofessional in these instances! Other researchers, such as Patterson, were far worse, because they apparently caused dozens of even hundreds of high-sigma reproducible events, but on all those occasions they used substandard, unreliable instruments and manual data collection (pencil and paper) instead of recording the data in a detailed, coherent, machine readable format. What an idiotic, tragic waste!