Jed Rothwell posted,
and Ed Storms responded

Actually, the article was good and the statement about cold fusion was accurate. Cold fusion is not yet a source of energy of any value. Cold fusion is, however, a demonstrated phenomenon, which might have a value in the future, a possibility the article leaves open.

Ed

Jed Rothwell wrote:

Mitchell Swartz writes:

How good could the article be with such inaccuracy about cold fusion?

The Real Deal, The verdict so far: Cold fusion is achievable by hard effort.

I agree that this National Geographic comment is awful, and I think Ed agrees. But

This exchange motivated me to pose some question to the group. It is my understanding that if the observed reactions were accomplished, using conventional nuclear reactions, there would be considerably more energy would be evolved than is being observed. Perhaps researchers can figure out the energy is going. Perhaps they can figure out how the reactions can be made to happen on demand. Because of the occurrence of rare isotopes, there is no question that nuclear reactions are occurring. Perhaps there is a use for which rare isotopes, can prove useful.