I have been pondering the systemic resemblance between
the phenomena of hot fusion/cold fusion and the phenomena
of the hydraulic jump. The great thing about recognising
the hierarchical nature of physical phenomena is that one
can work from a level where it is clearly possible to see
what is happening, to a level where there are only
instrument readings as a guide.

For the benefit of those Vortexians [very few I'm sure ;-) ]
who may not know what a hydraulic jump is, I googled a
definition. To my surprise the definition which came up
was in terms of air rather than water, to wit,

                   Hydraulic Jump
     A steady disturbance in the lee of a mountain,
     where the airflow passing over the mountain
     suddenly changes from a region of low depth and
     high velocity to a region of high depth and
     low velocity.

Still, since most Vorts are probably more familiar with
mountains that I am, the above definition will do nicely.

As for the water case, there is an appropriate diagram
of a hydraulic jump at,

     http://www.fao.org/docrep/X5744E/x5744eeo.gif

This diagram is rather fitting for this group since it
shows a vortex as the transition between the two regions,
viz. the high velocity region where the speed of the
water is manifest, large scale and one dimensional and
the region where the speed of the water is hidden,
small scale and three dimensional.

Now as a first approximation we may think of the
deuterium in hot fusion as being in the high velocity
low pressure state in contrast to cold fusion where the
material is in a low velocity high pressure state. This
will certainly give us the kind of bifurcation we are
looking for.

It was the natural thing is to start this way with the
straightforward macro kinetic energy of nuclei flying
around like gas molecules. But thinking about it more
profoundly I realised that I had things the wrong way
around.

The real action in taking place at a finer scale.
It is vital to home in on the right level. One level
up or down and every thing is reversed. Two levels up
or down and you have things the right way round but
you are hopelessly off target. It's no good jemmying
the door on the fifth, third or second floor flat
when the sparklers are on the fourth floor.

Now the most obviously relevant levels are electric
and magnetic field/flux/flow.

The electric field is analogous to the high depth low
velocity state since for a charged particle the
electric field is isotropic, i.e. the same in all
directions.

The magnetic field is analogous to the low depth high
velocity state since for a charged particle the magnetic
field is most definitely non-isotropic.

So we can now see that not only does the Beta-atmosphere
pressure drop inside the Fluid Phase (using the term
Fluid Phase in the hierarchical sense defined in the
SST paper) lead to a drop in the repulsive electric
pressure between deuterium nuclei, but it also leads
to a corresponding increase in the magnetic field
strength - the magnetic flux/flow.

Nuclei lined up anti-parallel will be attracted to
each other - will fuse - with resulting release of
mass energy.

Cheers,

Frank Grimer

  et resplenduit facies eius sicut sol