One comment from the Slashdot thread - perhaps of interest to Jed Rothwell,

"I have one [Fluorescent light Bulb which stays lit] in my bedroom here in Japan for the last four years."

"I t is a ring florescent tube that glows like a night light after the light goes out. The light is made by NEC and is called Hotarukku (a play on the word hotaru, which is Japanese for firefly).

It seems they launched the product in March 2000.
http://www.nelt.co.jp/navi/la_shg/fre_shg.htm

[nelt.co.jp] gives specs and has some pics showing the room lit with the light on and off.

Needless to say.... another "bright idea" from Japan... (both corny and plagiarized)

Jones

BTW the active material appears to be **strontium** .... this has potential implicatations for both the experiments of Harvey Norris and BLP.