I've been puzzling over how Hutchison manages to
get such spectacular effects from his claimed
relatively small energy input.

It occurs to me that a vortex ring (VR) is a
combination of a B-atm. expansion strain energy
(negative energy)and a B-atm. contraction strain
energy (positive energy).

Come to think of it, the formation of a vortex
ring is very reminiscent of what's going on in
the Hilsch Tube (HT).

The HT separates the Quick and the Dead  8-)

The VR separates the Linear and the Transverse.

Now if we are combining a positive and a negative
energy we only need to supply the difference.
It is as though the wheat and the cockle are at
each and of a see-saw. One only had to provide a
small amount of energy to divide them into quite
distinct populations.

Perhaps the Maxwell demon problem has been
approached from the wrong end -- bottom up
instead of the top down. After all, in analysing
Macbeth you don't start with the letters and work
upwards. You start with the whole play and work
downwards. The statistical distribution of
individual letters and words may be of some small
interest but the psychological makeup of Lady
Macbeth is far more fascinating, wouldn't you agree? 8-)

Once positive and negative energy are separated
then one can get energy out of each in the same
way that the Stirling Engine can get energy out
of hot coffee (hot infusion) on the one hand and
ice blocks (CF) on the other.

It is as though one is going through an

     ALGEBRAIC <-> ARITHMETIC
     velocity <-> speed cycle.

Perhaps the Carnot cycle is a particular example
of this more general cycle.

I must really get myself a Stirling Engine capable
of running on ice blocks. I'm sure I would find
watching it quite inspirational.   ;^)

Cheers,

Frank Grimer

     et congregabuntur ante eum omnes