Richard wrote..

>Old Texan saying ,Kyle. People asking someone to give me something  "
>gimme sumpin" gets the reply " gimme's dead".

Jed wrote..
What exactly does this mean, in this context? Are you saying that
corporations should not design forward-looking products that consumers
want, or will soon want, as market conditions evolve? We should let the
Japanese and Chinese corporations do that instead, I suppose.

Or are you saying that governments and corporations should work together to
produce new technology? That would be an interesting change. In the U.S.,
government has been on the forefront of technology and development since
the colonial period. Every major transportation technology, including
harbos, canals, steamships, railroads, subways, automobiles, airplanes and
automobiles, has been developed with government leadership and funding.
This sytem has worked splendidly for 300 years, but now -- for some unknown
reason -- you suggest it will not longer work.

Also, why do you call it a "giveaway" when the return on investment in
every case has been phenomenally good, for the government, citizens, and
private industry alike?

I cannot understand this anti-technology, Luddite point of view. It is very
fortunate that in other countries, government and industry still plan and
build for the future. On NHK (Japan national TV) yesterday they showed a
prototype electric automobile being developed at breakneck speed by the
power companies, Toyota and the government. It is based on the newest
batteries. The range is 200 km, and it recharges in 10 to 15 minutes. It
will go on sale next year, and it should be available in the U.S. in three
years, just about the time the first serious U.S. hybrids hit the road, I
suppose. It is obviously lead to plug-in hybrids as well. The Chinese are
working on similar vehicles. Do you really think it would be best to sit
and wait for Toyota and the Chinese to wipe out our auto industry? Or
should we respond 5 years too late to do any good, the way we responded to
crises in Iraq and New Orleans?

- Jed

Gosh Jed. all I wrote was that there is an old saying " gimme's dead" which is a standard reply to anyone asking you to give them something. I didn't include the US Govt in the comment.

However, considering the  local, state and federal government " organized response to Katrina", perhaps its time for us to look at another financial " vehicle" to carry us forward in the competivive world of energy and its expected resultant " fallout" for failure to sustain  progress in conservation of energy coupled with developing alternate energy applications and use.The US Government is "maxed " out of financial resources, this happened " before" Katrina.

Richard