Vince Cockeram wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wesley Bruce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

If the black box records a catholic pilot during a plane crash saying "Oh God, oh God, oh God" he's deemed a sad hero. If a Muslim pilot is recorded saying the same thing he's deemed a suicidal terrorist. I don't think its fair.

It is perfectly fair Wesley. The Catholic pilot didn't shut the engines down.

Ref: NTSB Final Report      http://www.ntsb.gov/Publictn/2002/aab0201.htm

Vince Cockeram

I knew that but so did the catholic pilot in South America he was getting the wrong signals from the computer and flew the plane straight into the ground. It was on the NTSB show on National Geographic. If the computers doing strange things to you and you can't explain it; what do you say? October 30, 1999, an EgyptAir captain who had flown the accident airplane reported that he had experienced difficulties with the autopilot during a portion of that flight. Sounds like a training glitch if you read the rest of the paragraph. If the controls were indicating a reversed response to the relief steward then he might have thought he had to push instead of pull. The captain ordered the engines off shortly after saying "get away in the engines,".

In Australia some of us are very defensive about calmness being seen as an indicter of guilt we have had several cases where that was miss-interpreted as callousness and people were punished for simply being calm. The Chamberlain case was on such case. Without additional information I don't think you can be conclusive. Unfortunately that would require another accident where the relevant controls failed. I was really thinking about the media response not the NTSB.