>Beaty Sez:

> "pyrophoric" iron.   If iron is ground up fine enough,
> it's surface area is such that the high rate corrosion
> heat can cause fires.
>
> They sell these in Bartell's pharmacy.  Self-heating pain
> releif pads. If you cut open the tyvek pad, you find
> black powder which eventually turns into red rust.  They
> seem to have designed the particle size to give
> slow heat over hours.  I was going to see what happens
> if I try sprinkling the stuff into a bowl filled with
> cold oxygen, but never got around to it.

> William J. Beaty

When you do get around to doing it I recommend keeping your distance. ;-)

Wearing goggles might be a good idea too.

I wonder if the burning/oxidization process might make for some interesting
glazing effects on the bowl. You going to use ceramic bowls?

Regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com