thomas malloy wrote:

Ed  Storms posted:

Obviously, a mechanism exists that is not part of normal experience.
That is why the effect is so hard to produce and requires a novel
environment.  People need to change their expectations and explore novel
processes that only occur in a crystalline structure.

and R O Cornwall replied;

it might be possible for them to scatter preferentially with D ions in the lattice
rather than Pd or e-.
The starting spark for the reaction would be pure random chance to then
initiate a kind of chain reaction.

Read the "students guide to cold fusion" your covering old ground. http://www.lenr-canr.org/StudentsGuide.htm

If you could initiate a chain reaction we wouldn't be arguing about whether or not the phenomena was happening or not. I could go to Walmart and purchase a C F heater for my house.

then Jed Rothwell posted;

Fortunately, that is exactly what we have for cold fusion. It is based on 18th and 19th-century calorimetry, which is one of the most fundamental and unquestionably reliable techniques known to science.

I saved this thread because I wanted to make the point about the metals which are found in the electrodes following the reactions, hetrometals. Since the electrodes are 5 9's grade metal, these hetrometals shouldn't have been there before. If you do an isotopic analysis of these hetrometals, there are exotic isotopes, the 2%ers which occur in higher than normal. IMHO, this is proof of the nuclear nature of the phenomena.