Michael Foster wrote:

> Fortunately, the whole series of attempts took no more than ten minutes,
> since I had everything close at hand. Your result from the heat lamp, as
> those filaments are fairly large, might have been a thermocouple effect
> from unequal heating.  What do you think?

I think that the effect definitely was a W filament -Nickel support wire, thermoelectric "thermocouple effect"
due to uneven heating of the W filament. Since the filament resistance change from ~5.2 ohms cold
to ~ 6.0 ohms "warm" is a long way from the ~57.00 ohms hot resistance of a 250 watt 120 volt heat lamp
the femtowatt power 4.0e-6^2 * 2e-4 =  3.2e-15 watts developed. ain't much to brag about.

IOW, the W-Ni junctions are symmetrical and would cancel each other out with even heating of the filament.

Would a diode get around this cancelation ??

> Hey, an actual experiment discussed on Vortex!

Must be the weather.  :-)

Too bad there isn't a way to connect to the aluminum reflector coating to
see if there is a Thermionic Converter effect going on. This is why I want
to see if the W-Halogen flood lamps PAR 38 120 watt-120 volt do better, even though this
bulb size (4.75 inch dia) can only focus about 12 watts of sun energy.

Frederick