Robin van Spaandonk wrote:

+1000:
Hi,
[snip]
A key to space elevators, solar chimney technologies and big flying jet stream windmills is *zero weight building materials*. I have a design for such a material; an expanded foam filled with hydrogen and helium. Its meant to be Buoyant up to 5 km and ultralight but stiff above that hight.

IOW it would be buoyant for the first 0.01% of the distance.

Your probably correct. I'll settle for a thousand meters.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

In a town full of candlestick makers, everyone lives in the light, In a town full of thieves, there is only one candle, and everyone lives in the night.