-0700:
Hi,
[snip]
>For those who do not know the mechanism involved - this is based on the
>nuclear reaction that occurs when the stable isotope10B, which is 20% of
>natural boron, absorbs a low energy 'thermal' neutron (cross-section nearly
>4000 barns) to yield a highly energetic helium-4 (i.e.,alpha particle) and 180
>degree recoiling Lithium-7 (7Li) ion. The alpha caries away ~1.5 MeV of energy
>and the lithium ~840 KeV so either of these two will also emit secondary
>gammas, which can be picked up with a simple GM detector (and that is the poor
>man's method) but as the alphas themselves are easily stopped by a thick
>layer, ergo use with normal film is an art. Because of the high cross section,
>neutrons can be stopped by a thin enough layer but the alpha is not.

Even at 3837 barns in pure Boron, the mean free path for the
neutron is 19.9 microns / 19.7%  = 101 microns. This is
considerably larger than the stopping distance of alpha particles
in a solid (usually on the order of 10-20 microns, and these are
comparatively low energy alphas - so the stopping distance will be
on the short side). In a Boron compound, the distance between
Boron nuclei will be even larger, hence the mean free path
greater. This implies as far as I can tell, that even an optimally
configured strip may not detect up to 90% of the available
neutrons. If any of the neutrons have a higher energy, they will
probably not be detected at all. Neutrons with much less than
thermal energy which might have an improved chance of being
captured, will unfortunately be thermalized after very few
collisions ( 1 on average), hence have essentially no range, and
consequently don't "exist".

This picture however changes appreciably if pure B10 is
substituted for natural Boron.

(MFP determined be dividing the atomic volume by the cross
section).
[snip]
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk