----- Original Message ----- From: "Jed Rothwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

That is pretty stark the way they portrayed you. Do you really think ICCF-12 will be the last? I doubt that.

When that reporter contacted me, around August 25, I had just heard from the ICCF-12 secretary who was panicked because only 18 people had registered, and we need at least a hundred to keep the hotel reservation. (I do not know whether 100 have registered yet.)

Fewer people show up at each ICCF conference. They are always the same people. Most of them are not doing active research anymore, and they present only a rehash of their previous work. Most of the ones who do not show up are incapacitated by old age, or dead.

I had no idea that the situation was that dire for the ICCFs. I hope there were some late participants planning on coming to this year's ICCF in Japan. What was the high water mark for the ICCF conferences?

Well, one thing is for sure, cold fusion is getting a lot more mainstream press coverage in this decade than last decade. I mean, just about every major publication has done some sort of story about cold fusion in recent years from Science to the New York Times. I believe the interest is there or these stories would not appear. All the ICCFs need is some decent developments, like commercialization, and they'll be turning people away from the upcomming conferences.

I am personally more optomistic about cold fusion than I was a decade ago. I almost lost interst completely in cold fusion during the late 1990s, as developments were sporadic. Now, we've got the U.S. Navy having revealed a decade of cold fusion research in 2002 with positive conclusions and a luke warm review from the U.S. DOE in 2004 and serious commercialization development efforts underway finally from a number of teams (at least the ones we know about). I feel momentum in cold fusion, momentum that will not be stopped until cold fusion enters the mainstream either through undeniable experimental results or commercialization. Especially now with fossil fuels getting more expensive, people will be receptive to cold fusion commercialization.