it would, because then youd have the shaft acting as a channel.  but...  have you SEEN the ground around an underground test?  the concussive wave shatters rock miles away.  in space, without a contraint, and a limit to how far the energy could be dissapated?  a mile wide asteroid would shatter if it were rocky.  mettalic, not so much, but it would still break up.