Hi All,

Here's some stuff from the anti-Ellen site.

Jack Smith

--------------------------------

http://www.aquaticape.org/

by Jim Moore

The Aquatic Ape Theory (often referred to as the AAT or
AAH) says humans went through an aquatic or semi-aquatic
stage in our evolution and that this accounts for many
features seen in human anatomy and physiology. Using the
principle of convergent evolution, it says that life in
an aquatic environment explains these features, and that a
transition from ape to hominid in a non-aquatic environment
cannot ...

------------------------

http://www.aquaticape.org/hardy.html

Alister Hardy's original "Aquatic ape theory"

Sir Alister Hardy was a marine biologist who specialized in
the study of plankton -- and don't even think of laughing;
he got knighted for it. Plankton is one of the basic
components of the marine food chain, and his work was
very important to the British fishing industry, not to
mention everybody else's. Among his more important work, he
invented a device in 1925 to better record plankton levels
and map out the distribution of different varieties.
This was called the Continuous Plankton Recorder,
which was towed behind ships, and in 1929 he designed a
somewhat smaller version of the CPR which could be towed
behind merchant ships, getting more and better information
from a much wider area than ever before. This device, in
essentially the same form, is still used in ocean research
today, over 75 years later. Pretty cool ...

There are some things that Hardy definitely did better
than his successors; his science background didn't desert
him completely.  He gave a fairly specific timespan for
the suggested aquatic period, as well as giving some idea
of how many hours he thought these hominids would be in
the water, and he recognized that they would have to be
in neck-deep water much of the time for his theory to work
as well as recognizing that aquatic predators exist ...

-------------------

http://www.aquaticape.org/whataat.html

What is the Aquatic Ape Theory (AAT)?

The Aquatic Ape Theory (aka AAT or AAH) hypothesizes that
humans went through an aquatic or semi-aquatic stage in
our evolution, generally said to have occurred during the
transition from the last common ancestor we shared with
apes (LCA) to hominids (Marc Verhaegen claims it continued
on through virtually the entire span of human evolution).

It claims that certain features are seen in human anatomy
and physiology which are only seen in humans and aquatic
animals and that these constitute proof that our ape
ancestors went through an aquatic phase in their transition
from ape to hominid.  Using the principle of convergent
evolution, it says that life in an aquatic environment
explains these features, and that a transition from ape
to hominid in a non-aquatic environment cannot.

Who thought up the Aquatic Ape Theory?

The original theory was done by Sir Alister Hardy, a marine
biologist who, late in his career in 1960, gave a talk at
the British Sub-Aqua Club (a scuba diving club) and a month
later published in New Scientist an article on that talk
called "Was Man More Aquatic in the Past?" It presented
most of the basic ideas, and definitely the method, of
the AAT.

Desmond Morris then mentioned Hardy's theory with a 2 page
write-up in The Naked Ape in 1967.

Elaine Morgan, at the time an Oxford grad in English and
a TV scriptwriter, entered the scene in 1972 with the
book Descent of Women, the idea for which she got from
Desmond Morris's book.  This was a pop book, pretty chatty
style which seems dated now but was popular then, and it
sold quite well. Looking back at it, I wouldn't call it
particularly female-oriented, but Morgan presented it as
"the" alternative to what she then called "The Mighty
Hunter" theory ...

Morgan has written another book on this subject (The
Aquatic Ape Hypothesis, 1997); as a refreshing change
this time, she has included references for some, but by
no means all of her statements (this is perhaps to be
expected since many of those statements are false) ...

There have been a few other people who've done articles
on the AAT, and they belie Morgan's claim that you can't
publish academic articles on the subject. (Good academic
articles seem to be another matter entirely.) Chief
among them is Marc Verhaegen, who has done a number
of articles. Although Verhaegen's articles do have
references, they also contain statements such as claiming
that rhinoceros are "predominantly aquatic", and several
other howlers among their many errors ...

Sexual selection and the AAT

Sexual selection is interesting vis a vis the AAT because
many of the traits that AAT proponents say are aquatic
traits due to convergent evolution in response to the
environment (and therefore selected via natural selection)
are actually, and rather obviously, due to sexual
selection. This is obvious because, typical of sexually
selected features, they appear at puberty instead of at the
age the animal would start using the aquatic environment.

We see this, for instance, in the lifespan history of fat
in seals versus humans. Seals rapidly gain fat while very
young, and at a very early age they are essentially like
their parents in their fat distribution and quantity. We,
on the other hand, start off fairly fat as babies, drop
within a few years to the leanest condition of our lives
as children, and then rapidly build up fat at puberty,
with radical differences in quantity and distribution of
fat between boys and girls, and to top it off, at middle
age our fat distribution changes once again.

Also, in humans fat distribution and amount is far
different in males and females, while in seals the sexes
are very similar. The same huge differences between aquatic
mammals and humans that we see in fat we also see with
our hair and sebaceous glands. AAT proponents say they are
aquatic traits, which means they must be due to convergent
evolution selected via natural selection, but they are
actually obviously sexually selected traits ...