Earlier, I wrote: "There is plenty of uranium, so even though we only 'burn' a small fraction of it with today's reactors." It should be noted that some of the advanced reactors now on the drawing board will burn a considerably larger fraction of the uranium, even though they are not breeder reactors in the usual sense.

In other words, even if we do not develop breeder reactors in the next 100 years, we can still improve efficiency, extract more energy from the uranium, and produce a smaller volume of spent fuel. All to the good.

Some of these reactors also achieve 40% thermal to electricity conversion, as I mentioned yesterday.

Here is a recent summary of these developments, from the Uranium Information Centre:

http://www.uic.com.au/nip16.htm

This describes advanced reactors that have actually been built recently and are in operation, and it describes even more advanced designs now on the drawing board.

QUOTE:

"Third-generation reactors have:

* a standardised design for each type to expedite licensing, reduce capital cost and reduce construction time,

* a simpler and more rugged design, making them easier to operate and less vulnerable to operational upsets,

* higher availability and longer operating life - typically 60 years,

* reduced possibility of core melt accidents,

* minimal effect on the environment,

* higher burn-up to reduce fuel use and the amount of waste,

* burnable absorbers ("poisons") to extend fuel life."

Notice they say "reduced possibility of core melt accidents." That is a prudent choice of words. I expect it was vetted by the legal staff to avoid liability. They do not want to claim a meltdown is impossible, just unlikely. Unfortunately for them, if a meltdown does occur, people will not remember this nuanced, guarded statement. When the Titanic sank everyone claimed the ship builders had called it "unsinkable." They never did. The shipbuilders and technical journals called it "practically unthinkable," and they were right. It took an enormous stroke of bad luck to flood so many compartments and sink the ship. But the distinction was lost on the public. If two or three fission reactor cores meltdown catastrophically in the next 20 years, the nuclear fission industry will also meltdown and disappear. People who advocate fission energy, such as our friend Standing Bear, should insist that safety be the Number One Priority, and they should never make flippant statements or dismissive statements such as:

. . . we might as well build all the nuclear that we need and not worry that our materials or fuel will be stolen or misappropriated . . .

That is the worst possible way to garner support from the public. It is PR anti-matter.

Along the same lines, people like me who advocate cold fusion research should strenuously avoid giving the impression that it is a sure thing -- just give us the money and we will make the breakthrough! -- or that we can be sure already it will be perfectly safe. The public will only support cold fusion when it is assured we are serious, we acknowledge that it may not work despite our best efforts, and if it does work we intend to make *very certain* it is safe, using extensive testing with radiation detectors, long-term exposure to laboratory rats and other species, extensive follow-up and recycling, and so on, and so forth. Many cold fusion researchers have been flippant about this subject, and many have unnecessarily expose themselves to possible danger. This is bad PR, and personally stupid.

The public demands inordinately high levels of assurance and responsibility from breakthrough technology. New technology is held to a higher standard than existing technology. That is unfair, but it is a fact of life. For example, some people are afraid of hybrid engines because they fear that in an accident the battery pack may electrocute someone. (This is untrue.) People are afraid of new things. They prefer the devil they know.