Hey folks, there is another site that may relate to this debate see: J. Slough & Louis Giersch http://www.ess.washington.edu/Space/PlasmaMag/ They are thinking a drive in the vacuum of space but it could be bagged to operate in the atmosphere. Mark If the fields so big it will have real or imaginary environmental effect to deal with. Indiced effects in matter near the launch site. By imaginary I mean screeming greenies at the launch site. I have a degree in the relevant fields, sustainable development and human ecology [ a very green degree you might say] if I can help check about environmental effects email me.
Jed Rothwell wrote:

Mark Goldes wrote:

Geomagnetic propulsion is based on the use of the earth's magnetic field as a force field analogous to the stator of an electric motor.

I understand that. You might compare it to a linear motor railroad.

In effect, it is as through the small artificial field source expands itself into a huge magnetic balloon, because of the low density of the earth's magnetic field.

Instead of using a physical plate you are making a huge virtual magnetic plate. How huge? It would have to hundreds of square kilometers, wouldn't it? How much energy does it take to make such a gigantic field?

Cohering the seemingly insignificant forces that act upon every point on the surface of the balloon, yields a considerable resultant force.

The forces that act on the balloon appear to be orders of magnitude stronger than those you propose to harness. Helium balloons can be very small, and I have made functional toy hot air balloons around 2 m tall, out of paper. What is the smallest magnetic field you can harness to launch a toy lifter of this design? You (or the inventor) would have a great deal more credibility if you can demonstrate the principle in a toy.