W&L's proposal is for a surface effect, no?

OK there are several semantic issues here. W&L have propsed a specific mechanism, true, but that could be one of perhaps several - for low energy reactions, all arguably related to QM and quantum tunneling.

Even if they believe theirs to be the only mechanism, we are not compelled to follow that closely in their thinking. Also as to "surface" this cannot be literal in that sense of a single atomic layer - as the mechanics of subsequent neutron abosorbtion would seem to demand some minimum thickness of interfacial metal.

I would think that we should be talking in terms of near-surface "excitons" being the active structure for all of these mechanism which include perhaps one or two other QM mechanisms, perhaps acting in consort.

Ockham be damned. Ockham is little more than an aesthetic principle anyway, and I find QM very anti-aesthetic from the git-go.

An exciton would be smaller than a normal metal "grain" but still could be called a "surface" feature - perhaps going down a few hundred nm in thickness?

What I like about the paper is the 'more general' ideas of
1) the 'heavy' electron, although I find Fred Sparbers concept for that item preferable to theirs...and the EVO even preferable to that if the circumstances permit, which often they do not - but indeed there could be those three concepts for a heavier temporal-lepton-conglomerate - in addition to the self-generated muon.
2) the energy deficient neutron

Perhaps you have some alternative - or more specific objections to W&L, to share, along those lines? ...giving them the leeway of not being "either-or" or overly inclusive, that is....

Jones