Speaking of "History's might-have-been's" during this period - how many realize how "fortunate: (i.e. downright lucky) we were at Midway?

This "failed-trap", and our good-fortune, plus a rare Yamamoto slip-up - essentially lost the war for Japan during this one battle. We might have succeeded anyway, at far greater cost, but for this battle, as they definitely had the upper hand in maritime strength prior.

Jones

BTW my stepfather was on the ill-fated Yorktown (both the first and second versions), and surviving that sinking (by torpedo) required its own bit of luck.