Sent: Monday, December 05, 2005 6:08 AM
Subject: Re: OT: Secrets of bee flight revealed

Sticking my lurker's head above the parapet may I comment on the flight of the butterfly.
This has always fascinated me, and Richard's observations have triggered some hopefully useful thoughts.

What if the wings are the sensors of IR from the various vortices in the air movement as well as small variations in the local velocity dynamics?  Might it also be within the realms of possibility that the patternation of the wing serves more than mating attraction, but also an electro-cellular function.   Their wing action is very stop and go which might be useful for direction-finding while the wings are stationary in flight.

Having watched the recent BBC series by Richard Attenborough on "Life in the undergrowth"; the extraordinary capabilities of the minutest life-forms with almost zero brain volume stirs the imagination to extreme limits.

Norman Horwood   Berkshire UK