This article appeared a few weeks later.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/05/03/us/physicists-debunk-claim-of-a-new-kind-of-fusion.html

quote from the second page:
<<At Stanford University, Prof. Robert A. Huggins repeated the
Pons-Fleischmann experiment several weeks ago, and obtained results that
seemed to suggest fusion. But Dr. Walter E. Meyerhof, professor of physics
at Stanford, told scientists Monday night that he had carefully studied his
colleague's apparatus and found that the experiment was flawed because of
the system used to measure heat. Nevertheless, Dr. Huggins, a materials
scientist, said in a telephone interview that he is ''more confident than
ever'' in his results.>>

Harry