Brightness depends on how much light is in the visible range.  What is
happening is that as the device gets hotter, a greater percentage of the
light falls in the visible range, AND, a greater total amount of radiative
energy is being emitted.  Both are going on at the same time.  It gets
bright enough to want some darkening glasses (and put on your shiny
sunscreen oil for the infrared).