Dec. 09, 2005

> [Original Message]
 From: What's New <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Date: 12/9/2005 9:15:21 PM
 Subject: [BOBPARKS-WHATSNEW] What's New Friday December 9, 2005

 WHAT'S NEW   Robert L. Park   Friday, 9 Dec 05   Washington, DC

 1. REPORT CARDS: A LOT OF CHILDREN ARE GOING TO BE LEFT BEHIND.
 On Wednesday, the Thomas B. Fordham Institute released a report
 on science standards for K-12 set by 49 states, "The State of
 State Science Standards."  Iowa, which doesn't set standards for
 any subject, was left out.  The report was authored by Paul Gross
 with help from a panel of distinguished science educators.
 Predictably, evolution got particular attention.  A year ago,
 with Barbara Forrest, Gross examined the "intelligent design"
 movement in Creationism's Trojan Horse (Oxford, 2004).  Only
 seven states got an A, and almost half flunked.  Kansas achieved
 special distinction with the only F-.  Ironically, the report
 suggests the No Child Left Behind law contributed to the low
 science scores by requiring testing only in reading and math.

 2. CLIMATE CHANGE: THERE ARE NO ESKIMOS IN CRAWFORD, TEXAS.
 There are, however, Eskimos in Washington, DC this week, where on
 Wednesday, they filed a petition against the United States with
 the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights.  The Eskimo
 culture is dependent on sea ice, which is shrinking.  Perhaps
 they will subpoena 4 senators (3 Republican) who visited Barrow,
 AK last year http://bobpark.physics.umd.edu/WN05/wn081905.html .
 According to a NY Times story from the Montreal Climate Change
 Conference, the Bush Administration remains steadfastly opposed,
 not only to new goals for reduction of greenhouse emissions, but
 also to any  informal discussions that might even touch on the
 subject.  The Canadian Prime Minister, Paul Martin, singled out
 the U.S. for failing to join in the world effort to limit CO2
 emissions.  Meanwhile, Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX) has a
 bill to spend $10M to study weather modification.  Someone should
 explain that we're modifying the weather right now.

 3. SPACE LIMITS: NASA CHIEF CITES "DAUNTING FISCAL REALITIES."
 At a meeting of the American Geophysical Union on Tuesday,
 Michael Griffin said, "We must acknowledge the plain fact that we
 cannot do everything that was on our plate when I assumed
 office."  We noticed that.  So far, the solution has been to cut
 out the science.  Meanwhile, the European Space Agency, unsure
 that the U.S. Shuttle will ever fly again, and unwilling to wait
 for a Crew Exploration Vehicle that won't fly before 2012, is
 thinking of investing in the Russian "Clipper." What they would
 do if they got to the ISS isn't clear.

 4. KANSAS: MYTHBUSTING HAS NEVER BEEN A VERY SAFE OCCUPATION.
 Last Friday, WN noted that a course at the University of Kansas,
 "Special Topics in Religion: Intelligent Design, Creationism and
 other Religious Mythologies," had been cancelled.  Early Monday,
 Paul Mirecki, a religious-studies professor who was to teach the
 course, was stopped by two men on a rural road and beaten.

 THE UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND.
 Opinions are the author's and not necessarily shared by the
 University of Maryland, but they should be.
 ---
 Archives of What's New can be found at http://www.bobpark.org
 What's New is moving to a different listserver and our
 subscription process has changed. To change your subscription
 status please visit this link:
 http://listserv.umd.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=bobparks-whatsnew&A=1