​<<​
When you lose weight, where does it go? Turns out, most of it is exhaled.
In a new study, scientists explain the fate of fat in a human body, and
through precise calculations, debunk some common misconceptions. Fat
doesn't simply "turn into" energy or heat, and it doesn't break into
smaller parts and get excreted, the researchers say.
​>>​
​
http://www.livescience.com/49157-how-fat-is-lost-body.html

​---------​

​<<​
Considering the soaring overweight and obesity rates and strong interest in
this topic, there is surprising ignorance and confusion about the metabolic
process of weight loss among the general public and health professionals
alike. We encountered widespread misconceptions about how humans lose
weight among general practitioners, dietitians, and personal trainers (fig
1⇓). Most people believed that fat is converted to energy or heat, which
violates the law of conservation of mass. We suspect this misconception is
caused by the “energy in/energy out” mantra and the focus on energy
production in university biochemistry courses. Other misconceptions were
that the metabolites of fat are excreted in the faeces or converted to
muscle. We present a novel calculation to show how we “lose weight.”
​>>​

http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g7257

Harry​