I think Ed Storms and Jed Rothwell make good point the "one flesh" thing but the "one flesh" reference misses the point. Leviticus is were the action is and it includes things like quarantine, antiseptics (Hyssop and cedar oil) both known antibacterial agents that have never produced immune strains of bugs. I need to focus on the fusion work for a while but if your interested in the subject read R. J. Rushdoony's books on the subject he is quite good. http://www.chalcedonstore.com/xcart/home.php
More below, I couldn't resist.

:

Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:

We are, as Hamlet put it, noble in reason, infinite in faculties, the paragon of animals. We have done nothing wrong and we have nothing to be ashamed of.

Here one must ask, does this grand and supremely innocent "We..." include the young George Bush feeding firecrackers to frogs to watch them blow up?

Hey, we're predators. What would you expect? Besides, I don't believe in collective guilt.

George was not a Christian in his child hood he's a recent convert. Many in the western world are what we in the church call nominal Christians, people who are born into the history and traditions without knowing God or understanding any doctrine. World Christianity is divided into what we call the visible church: with a mix of denominations and creeds, with people who are well meaning but very nominal Christians, a few saints, and a lot of others that are a waste of a good pew. There's a few that are truly dangerous. The church invisible is the body of true believers inside all the various denominations. They have sound doctrine and work hard to win souls. There often too busy to try to run the show, sometimes that is a mistake, allowing others to rise to the top. The church invisible includes a few outside the formal church who for one reason or another have found God but still can't find a church that is worth attending. There are many hidden in communist countries and the moslem arc who can't go public with their faith because of persecution. PS I'm not a Roman Catholic and you might guess I think the Vatican has a lot more of the visible [very] church in it and a lot less of the church invisible church than it thinks ;-) .

One might, with some effort, come up with a few other things for which the human species has been responsible which some might view as worthy of some small amount of shame, I think...

Sure, but most us had nothing to do with these atrocities.

Look, every healthy person feels some degree of existential guilt. You look around, you see people suffering, and you can't help but blame yourself partly. That's natural. It is okay -- even beneficial. Empathy is bred into us; group hunting predators take care of helpless pack members. What I object to is people who exploit that feeling. They enslave other people's minds with fear, based on hocus-pocus superstition and balderdash. They compound the problem by making people feel guilty about feeling guilty. They make life even more miserable than it is already. They rob people of dignity, hope and self-respect. They frighten little children. They incite the public to hate and fear science, which is our only hope for a decent, humane future. And for what? Only to empower themselves, or make a profit, or to spread their own warped, defeatist, guilt-ridden, irrational traditions to the next generation.

Of course I know that many religious people never engage in this sort of behavior. Many are wonderful people, and for that matter many scientists are heartless wretches. I have no use for religion myself, but in most people it is a harmless eccentricity, no worse than a passion for Contract Bridge.

By the way, there is an interesting article in the New York Times Magazine about antipathy toward science:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/11/magazine/11wwln_lead.html

It's interesting that antipathy towards science was lowest when the church was stronger in the 1950's and antipathy is strong now that the church is weak and the new age stuff is pushing into the mainstream. There's a whole other debate to be had there but I have a few dozen ICCF12 papers to find and read. Not to mention a letter to a politician on "live embryo transplant" ectogenesis as an alternative to abortion. Wish me luck I'll really need it on that one.
bye from wesley.