Dave-

My experience with older thermocouples is that reference t/c voltages must be 
well controlled to get accurate temperature readings based on calibrations.   
It looks to me like the reference voltages that the t/c instrumentation uses 
may have a cyclic variation that is responsible for the cyclic variation your 
model predicts.  I wonder what the instrumentation specs say about this issue.  
It would be useful to review those specifications and what the vendor says 
about stability of the readings.  Frequently T/C leads need to be electrically 
shielded to prevent small voltage pickup and disruption of the voltage 
determination.  With the small temperature changes only very voltage changes 
are produced by the t/c's--millivolts and less. 

Bob Cook
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: David Roberson 
  To: [email protected] 
  Sent: Friday, January 30, 2015 6:07 PM
  Subject: Re: [Vo]:Alternate Calculation and Calibration Method for Mizuno 
Report


  This is an ongoing project I suppose.  I will check the Oct 20 data again, 
but I believe I got roughly the same amount of excess.  That seems too good to 
be true.

  What do you mean by considering that the reactor vessel is capturing 60% of 
the heat?  Are you referring to the idea that the water and reactor have a 
combined capture of 100%?  That would seem logical if the thermal capacity of 
each is considered.

  It is good to continue with the calibrations and I hope that the ambient is 
better controlled at this phase.  We can make the calorimeter work well once it 
is properly compensated to take out the signal droop.  The main issue is to 
keep the ambient variations to a minimum.   One thought to consider.  If 
something happens to disrupt the system, you can wait a few time constants 
until the ambient average changes work their way out of the calorimeter system. 
 A good test of that condition is to measure the difference between the ambient 
and the coolant.  Once that difference is equal to the nominal value set by the 
product of the thermal resistance and the leakage powers, you are good to go.

  Of course, you must ensure that the ambient is not varying too far since that 
immediately impacts the heat flowing into and out of the thermal capacity.  It 
is assumed that the average ambient is constant which will prevent any major 
transients.

  This system should work well with the right precautions and compensations.

  Dave







  -----Original Message-----
  From: Jed Rothwell <[email protected]>
  To: vortex-l <[email protected]>
  Sent: Fri, Jan 30, 2015 8:48 pm
  Subject: Re: [Vo]:Alternate Calculation and Calibration Method for Mizuno 
Report


  David Roberson <[email protected]> wrote:

    I do not get anywhere near to the 3 to 1 excess power out over input power 
that is reported.   I am seeing a 1.25 ratio instead of 3.0 or so.


  Oh, I think you did see the 3 to 1 excess, and the 6:1 as well. Keep looking! 
Look at Table 1.


  You got 1:1.25 for the water on Oct. 21. Right? I estimate 1:1.35, which is 
close enough. Now look at Oct. 20, which got a much better ratio with the 
water, 1:2.29. NOW add in the heat captured by the stainless steel reactor 
vessel. The thermal mass of the reactor is larger than that of the water, so I 
estimated that the vessel captures 60% of the heat, and the water 40%. So, the 
combined ratio for Oct. 20, for the water and stainless steel, is 1:5.69


  Try applying your method to the Oct. 20 data and see if you get an answer in 
the same ballpark.


  Additional calibrations are underway. I believe I will soon be able to 
confirm that the reactor vessel is, in fact, capturing 60% of the heat.


  - Jed

Reply via email to