On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 11:10 PM, Alberto De Souza <
alberto.investi...@gmail.com> wrote:

The LENR community must first focus on this binary hypothesis: "A reactor
> loaded with LENR fuel produces excess (non-chemical) heat" (true/false). To
> test this hypothesis one has to run an experiment to test exactly that: is
> the reactor with fuel hotter? This simplifies the problem a lot.

I am impressed with this suggestion.  It makes things very simple.
Calorimetry and thermometry will be helpful to people who are already
partly persuaded and are trying to engineer a better reaction.  But that
kind of approach has lead to interminable quibbling within a larger
audience.  The approach you suggest, by contrast, will go a long way to
remove occasion for fiddly questions.  People will still find things to
complain about, but the simpler approach may be good enough to satisfy the
median skeptical onlooker, and the long tail of died-in-the-wool skeptics
do not matter.

Since your simpler approach does not obtain an integrated measurement, one
complication would be significant swings in the temperature of either the
device in test or the control, with the control running hotter than the
functional unit for stretches of time.

Eric