Hello again, Lennart,

A couple of quick follow-ups before I retire for the night.

> Trying to have an understanding I assume you say that gravity is a force much
> larger

> than for example the centripetal force on a body on this planet.

It depends. In an elliptical orbit centripetal force appears to us as greater
than the force of gravity during perihelion, the closest approach of the
satellite. Gravity, OTOH, appears to us as the greater force as compared to
centripetal force at aphelion, the farthest distance from the satellite. I made
a rather obscure observation, (or re-discovery) while performing some computer
simulations of orbital mechanics a couple of years ago. It had to do with
observing elliptical orbits on a traditional x,y Cartesian plane, and not with
typical polar coordinates. Using an iterative feed-back algebraic algorithm,
(where I’m not using calculus), I discovered I can mimic the exact interplay of
these two forces (gravity and centripetal) using the following algebraic
expression:

r = -+1/r^2 - 1/r^3.

The attractive effects of gravity are observed in the formula part of 1/r^2
where the force of gravity is the inverse square of the distance. Meanwhile,
the negative or repulsive effects of centripetal forces are shown in the
algebraic expression -1/r^3, the inverse cube of the distance. You can see a
more technical explanation of this effect by going to the following link titled
Orbits in 2D:

http://www.physics.csbsju.edu/orbit/orbit.2d.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see the graphic that looks
like the tracing of a bouncing ball. That’s the plot of an elliptical orbital
where time is expressed in equal slices (in calculus terms: dy/dt). This is
charted in the x axis and y (or radius), is the radius distance of the
satellite from the central mass. The author uses different terminology that my
own, where he explains the effect as the conservation of energy… which is a
perfectly legitimate explanation. However, my observations, while I’m not
disputing the author’s claims, seems to come up with different observations and
conclusions. I’m still working on the particulars.

> There is a Swedish say[ing] that one idiot can ask more questions than ten
> wise man can answer.:)

Ah, but in my book any idiot that’s willing to ask questions is in a far better
place than the idiot who answers them.

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson

svjart.orionworks.com