One definition of reality could be this:  Matter and energy distributed in various combinations across a finite space.  Within these confines we have the natural.  Anything outside of this is unnatural, or supernatural.

Reality only feels real because we have five senses, composed of sensors which are also made of matter and energy, that feed our conscious mind (whatever that is), and allows us to be aware of the reality.

Science investigates specific aspects and details of this interaction of matter and energy to give us better understanding of our surroundings.  With this understanding we are then better able to manipiulate our surroundings to make our existence more enjoyable and perhaps more meaningful.  Technology is then a measure of our ability to manipulate our surroundings.

A.C. Clarke once said that "technology, sufficiently advanced, will always be mistaken for magic."  If this is true, then even the most amazing observations we make in our reality should have a foundation based on scientific principles that can ultimately be understood.  But, is there real magic that goes beyond the confines of our "matter and energy" reality?

Consider the term: magic trick

It is an oxymoron.  A trick is not magic, and magic is no trick.  A trick is the manipulation of matter and energy, in an artful manner, so as to fool the senses of observers, and convince them that the event falls outside the boundaries of reality.  This is routinely done by skilled practitioners with some very basic technology.

Real magic, if it exists, by definition eminates from beyond our "matter and energy" reality.  Real magic could include anything from miracles down to evil spells.  Are these things beyond science, or is the problem merely that present scientific tools are just too primitive to deal with these incidents?  Do we ignore these intrusions on our comfortable reality because we are not up to the task of investigating them, or do we face it head on?  Do we say that we are going to do our science in our comfortable little corner of reality, and turn our backs on the big picture?  Do we say, "This is too tough for me to face.  I'm not going to deal with it."?

I have seen responses of fear and denial on this forum.  Should our discussions be controlled by either of those?  We are all considered lunatics anyway for contemplating the existence of hydrinos, among other things.  Let us keep open minds on anything that can affect the path of alternate energy development, even if it seems off topic to some.  Perhaps we could have a set of spam codes more specific than "off topic" to protect the fearful, the scoffers, and the thoroughly annoyed.

Jeff
P.S.  I have responded to many religious threads on this forum, but avoided starting any.  This is the brightest group of people I have ever corresponded with.  The diversity of beliefs and opinions voiced here is absolutely astounding.  I am having a really good time with some of these discussions.