I thought the spinsters in this crowd would find the following article
rather interesting:

http://phys.org/news/2015-08-magnon-phonon-magnetoelastic-magnetic-photoexci
tation.html

They describe anomalies involving interactions of spin-domain boundaries and
photonic energy.
Here is a relevant quote from the phys.org overview article:

               > The scientists also observed a transition from spin wave to

               > magnetoelastic wave excitations by increasing excitation
intensity,
        > a process which Ogawa acknowledges is not entirely understood at
present.
               > "It's the first time that this effect has been observed -
but it seems very
               > plausible that the coupling of light to matter and the
energy transfer of
               > the light to the magnetoelastic waves involve some
non-linear processes."

I'd love to hear further interpretation of these findings from this group.

Best wishes,
-Bob Ellefson