Jones,

Hopefully more information will become available concerning this effect in the
future.   I agree that it is becoming possible to place very large numbers of
devices of this small size on a chip that might make the effect very visible
and useful.

I would assume that with the cooling would come mechanical engines that utilize
that sink for the low temperature side of the requirement.  And, direct
electrical conversion might become useful as well.

My original question concerning the operation of photocells within a constant
temperature sink led me to an interesting Wikipedia article.  I found that the
efficiency equation for those types of cells includes a product term that is
equal to the Carnot equation to handle Thermodynamic effects.  If true, then
the actual output from an internal photocell would go to zero if it is
surrounded by a fixed temperature heat sink.  That would explain why no
electrical work could be generated from the sink thermal energy itself.  It is
not clear why this Carnot term appears, but it is of the correct level to
nullify the effect I was seeking to understand.

One interesting though has come to my attention.  In electronics thermal noise
power has long been associated with resistors and is equal to KTB at a given
temperature.  In this equation K is the Boltzmann constant, T is in Kelvin, and
B is the bandwidth.   If you construct a series LC network from this resistor
to ground AC current will flow through those 3 devices.    The magnetic field
emitted by the coil can then be seen outside of a highly insulated box holding
the network.  I would suspect that radiation leaving the coil would be emitted
into a lower temperature spacial sink.  This might well lead to a very gradual
cooling of the interior of the box.

The clue to the above system and the LED one we are discussing is that heat due
to thermal movement of atoms is able to excite resonate systems that can then
release that energy in a narrow bandwidth electromagnetic form that escapes the
local environment.  On the other hand, engines that use heat to perform their
operations tend to be connected directly to the local environment.  The heat to
radiation conversion leads to the apparent violation of the thermodynic laws in
these cases.

Dave